Subject: Re: Lab machines - some questions
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/04/1997 14:59:08
On Dec 3,  2:53pm, Jukka Marin wrote:
> Subject: Re: Lab machines - some questions
> > maybe I'll get the chance to setup some of our lab machines for dual-boot
wirh
> > WinNT... how my questions is, how do I enable users to shotdown the
machine,
> > without knowing the root password? Shutting down via Ctl-Alt-Del would be
> > best... does PC- or VT-console provite any hooks there?

FYI, right now I have:
1. a "halt: login with UID 0 and /sbin/halt as login shell. UID 0 will prevent
   a) network logins and b) "su halt" by users not in group wheel.
2. A message in /etc/gettytag to login as "halt" on the console to reboot the
   system.

But still, having CTRL-ALT-DEL available as well would be nice.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>