Subject: Re: NetBSD/i386 and single board computers
To: Tom T. Thai <tomthai@future.net>
From: David M. Stanhope DMS <dms@bsdpc.celtech.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/03/1997 23:56:40
On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Tom T. Thai wrote:

> Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 21:03:26 -0600 (CST)
> From: "Tom T. Thai" <tomthai@future.net>
> To: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
> Cc: port-i386@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: NetBSD/i386 and single board computers
>
> I asked something similar for passive backplane systems but got no
> response, so if you got any response, please let me know.
>
> On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Brook Milligan wrote:
>
> > I am wondering about the possibility of running NetBSD on an embedded
> > single board computer.  The system would essentially consist of a 486
> > processor, >8 Mb ram, serial ports, a floppy drive, and an IDE disk
> > drive (perhaps a solid state disk).  Has anyone successfully done
> > this?  What considerations should I be concerned with before I try to
> > set this up?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Brook
> >

> ..............          ....................................
> Thomas T. Thai          Infomedia Interactive Communications
> tom@iic.net             TEL 612.376.9090 * FAX 612.376.9087

I have quite successfully run netbsd on passive backplane 486 and pentium
computers. To the best of my experience they look exactly like standard
motherboards and we didn't have to do anything special. The only
difference in our setups is that we don't generally use a video card and
so we use netbsd with a serial-port boot and kernal, both of which are in
the standard distribution, in fact the autoselect stuff in 1.3 is quit
nice.
                          dms@celtech.com