Subject: Standalone xterm in 4MB?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/28/1997 19:33:41
I have yet another teeny 386-40 sitting here that is functioning as an
X-terminal for my sparc.  Has anyone tried a standalone X server setup (rc
consists only of ifconfig, route, swapon, and X) before, and if so, in how
much memory?  I'd like to do away with th Micro-X DOS server I'm running
(based on X11R5) and put a "real" X server on it, but I'm worried that even
as the only user process running, X won't enjoy 4MB.

(Point of interest:  I have a Trident 8900, not speedy, but I believe the
support in the XFree86 server should be at least twice as fast as in
Micro-X; that server is _very_ slow, much more so than the card itself.)

=====
== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com)
== Vierling's Axiom: The revolution won't be televised; it will be posted.