Subject: Re: Exactly what does the 1024 cyl limit break?
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Joel Reicher <void@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/28/1997 08:06:19
On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Frank van der Linden wrote:
---snip!---

> Most modern BIOSs work around this by enabling a fake geometry, in
> which the number of cylinders is trimmed down to a value <= 1024,
> and the number of heads multiplied by the same factor, giving
> the same total size.

Is there any way of changing what that factor is? I was aware that the
translation worked that way, but even my translated geometry has more
than 1024 cylinders, so I can't spread my root partition as large as I'd
like.

Somebody mentioned to me once that the drive itself participates in the
translation used in LBA, so I expect that can't be adjusted by anybody
but the drive manufacturer. But what about the other translation scheme?
I think it's usually called "Large" addressing mode in BIOS setups or
something like that, isn't it?

	- Joel Reicher