Subject: Re: Exactly what does the 1024 cyl limit break?
To: Joel Reicher <void@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/27/1997 23:55:16
On Fri, Nov 28, 1997 at 08:06:19AM +1100, Joel Reicher wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Frank van der Linden wrote:

> Is there any way of changing what that factor is? I was aware that the
> translation worked that way, but even my translated geometry has more
> than 1024 cylinders, so I can't spread my root partition as large as I'd
> like.
>
> Somebody mentioned to me once that the drive itself participates in the
> translation used in LBA, so I expect that can't be adjusted by anybody
> but the drive manufacturer. But what about the other translation scheme?
> I think it's usually called "Large" addressing mode in BIOS setups or
> something like that, isn't it?

Well, there are 2 things important here:

	1) How is the drive itself addressed?
		* LBA mode (specify everything by sector number)
		* CHS mode (specify cylinder, head, sector)

	2) How does the BIOS translate between what it gets via
	   int 13h and the drive?
		* CHS mode (don't translate; just pass on to the drive)
		* LARGE mode (translate CHS from int 13h into CHS for
		  IDE drives, which has different limits)
		* LBA mode (translate CHS from int 13h into a number
		  of sectors; this makes things the most flexible)

For a good explanation on all of this, see for example

	http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/bioslim.htm

- Frank