Subject: Re: ADSM and SVR4/iBCS2
To: None <tv@pobox.com>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/25/1997 15:19:05
> If you have a procedure for properly setting up iBCS2
> emulation, I'd like to hear it, and I'll make a compat_ibcs2(8)
> man page out of it.  This is one of the few emulations that
> still doesn't have a man page.

I must admit that I do not by any means possess the full recipe for
doing this.  What I do know is that you can create /dev/socksys (or
perhaps more appropriately, /emul/ibcs2/dev/socksys) to get basic
TCP/IP networking to function.  This plus a faked-up (inappropriately
formatted) /etc/mnttab is enough to get Veritas (formerly Aria)
NetBackup to limp along on my i386/NetBSD (well, it actually works as
it should, from all we can see.  ;-)

I do know that to get ibcs2 curses-based programs to work we had to
install ncurses, primarly to be able to generate the terminfo files
these programs look for.  I've also observed that some SCO X11
programs don't work at all (we've tried Tektronix' windd client
program for SCO Unix, and that one fails with what looks like a
timeout).  Some other X11 programs *do* work (e.g. the X11 based user
program for Veritas NetBackup), and we're currently a bit in the dark
wrt. what the differences between the non-working and the working
programs are.

> I'm getting an SCO OpenServer CD from someone soon, so I'll be
> able to make the procedure as "easy as possible" to follow for
> the page.

Ok, sounds good.

- H=E5vard