Subject: Re: 1.2 NFS problems
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/21/1997 16:27:45
On Fri, Nov 21, 1997 at 04:31:30PM +0200, Michael Richardson wrote:

>   I can crash the 1.2 machine *consistently*
>   Apparently, that machine crashes once a week or so. I did it 20
> times in an afternoon with a 1.3 client.

See my fix in the previous mail. The bug that was in 1.2 could well be
triggered sooner in the server, because the directory read behavior
of 1.3 clients is a bit different.

>   The directory in question was my src/lib/libc directory. At some
> point, I had built with an object dir, and had 100+ formatted man
> pages left there, so the directory was huge.

That's not big :) I tested the NFS dir code with 10,000 files in one
directory to a 1.2E server. Directories can grow bigger in some
circumstances.

>   The 1.3 kernel that I built seems to die on ifconfig'ing some SMC
> PCI cards. I'll take that up later in current-users.

That reminds me of a similar problem with ep cards that turned out
to be a compiler bug. It did not occur with SMC cards, but: make
sure that you have a new gcc installed, it has some important bugfixes.

- Frank