Subject: Re: Promise Ultra33 supported under NetBSD1.2?
To: Roger Simmons <rwsimmon@ee.utah.edu>
From: John S. Dyson <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/19/1997 14:19:50
Roger Simmons said:
> > Does NetBSD support LBA addressing?  The Promise Ultra33 only works in LBA mode and
>
> any OS that does not use/support this will not work.

The Promise Ultra33 works in both modes.  The chip (interface) is pretty close to
the standard EIDE interface as proposed by the pci group.  Most of the code that
works with PIIX* chips will work with the Promise.  As I said, there are some minor
differences, but once those differences are handled, the board works well.

In order to see what we did on FreeBSD, you might look at the file /sys/pci/ide_pci.c
in FreeBSD.  Of course, that file is used to set both busmaster DMA AND sense
the addresses used by the card.  It shouldn't be too hard to integrate (conceptually)
this into NetBSD.  It is likely within the realm of hacking it individually into
a users' NetBSD kernel.

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org