Subject: Re: Promise Ultra33 supported under NetBSD1.2?
To: Tom T. Thai <tomthai@future.net>
From: John S. Dyson <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/18/1997 20:37:36
Tom T. Thai said:
> I didn't know NetBSD supported Ultra_IDE.  Was this added at some point?
>

> On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Roger Simmons wrote:
>
> > On install (after inserting file system floppy fs
> >
> > vendor 0x105a product 0x4d33 (class mass storage, unknown sub class
> > 0x04, revision 0x01 at pci0 dev19 function 0 not configured.

We can use the Promise Ultra/33 controller on FreeBSD, but it is a slightly
odd device.  It reports that it is a raid device and not eide.  It works
great with my WD 5.1GB drive though.  I cannot see any performance liability
of using it instead of the PIIX3 on my MB.

The DMA configuration is a little different than standard also, but only
requires a few minor mods.  In general, it is a great card, with
personality :-).

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org