Subject: Re: Nov15 1.3_ALPHA unofficial snapshot
To: None <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/18/1997 12:36:40
> > Or is there some specific reason you want the two-day old
> > sources used to build the snapshot?
>
> Yes - the sys.tar.gz that the snapshot was built from is
> expected to at least compile and probably work.  I would
> recommend including sys.tar.gz

Ok, I've now put a copy of my sys.tar.gz in

   ftp://ftp.ntnu.no/pub/NetBSD/i386-1.3_ALPHA/sys-src/sys.tar.gz

I still think it's a good idea to use the current sources instead,
and I've inserted a comment to that effect in the README file of the
i386-1.3_ALPHA directory.  Any changes going in on the release
branch in the alpha/beta test cycle are intended to be "stabilizing"
and not introduce new features, but rather fix existing bugs.

> btw having now built my own snapshot - I must again thank all those
> that provide this service - it takes up serious amounts of disk :-)

Hm, well, on my i386 it's currently 76M for the installed binaries,
25M for the tar files created from the binaries and 10M for the source
snapshot (I created my own "makesystar" script which only creates the
sys source snapshot and omits the kernel compile directories).  I'd
almost be inclined to say "not all that excessive" ;-), considering
that I already keep the rest of the tree (source, object, kernel
compile directories etc.) for my own purposes.

Otherwise, you're welcome!

- H=E5vard