Subject: Re: floppy drive
To: David Stanhope <dms@celtech.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/17/1997 18:38:01
On Mon, 17 Nov 1997 15:32:57 PST
 David Stanhope <dms@celtech.com> wrote:

 >    fdc0: can't set up ISA DMA map

Yes, sigh... this is a known bug, actually.

Basically, the problem is that all bounce buffer memory is now allocated
after the VM system is bootstrapped, as opposed to before, which is what
the old code did.

The problem here is that the buffer cache gets all of the memory below
16M!!

I'm not exactly sure of the best way to solve this.  One option is to allocate
the buffer cache _later_, but buffers might be needed to read disklabels
during autoconfiguration.  So, that's out.

Another option is to allocate some buffers early, and the rest later.  This
would require a bit of code changing, actually.

I do want to try to address this before 1.3 is released, but because of
Supercomputing '97 (right now, as I type) and IETF 40 (couple of weeks),
my time is short :(

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 650 604 0935