Subject: Re: vm_fault in pmap_changebit()
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@maria.wustl.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/13/1997 11:21:34
In your letter dated Thu, 13 Nov 1997 09:03:08 +0000, you wrote:
>	Does your new VM deal with the unification of the buffer cache?

no, not yet.   given the scope and size of the work needed to be
done in just the VM part of the code alone i decided it would be
wise to defer working on the I/O subsystem as much as possible.
basically, i have either replaced or rewritten a rather large
chunk of sys/vm/*.{c,h}.

once the remaining missing pieces of the VM are filled in, then
the next task is to take on the I/O subsystem and buffer cache.
i've done some preliminary planning in this area, but it will need
more work.

i am currently working on code which will allow the VM system to
safely copy-on-write loan its pages out to the anonymous memory
layer or other parts of the kernel (e.g. networking subsystem).

chuck