Subject: Re: anyone had cc1 core dump on them?
To: Matthew Mjacob <mjacob@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/12/1997 16:05:15
Hi Matthew,
I had some random cc1 signals, and eventually tracked it down to bad RAM.
I don't think I ever got signal 6 (abort), but I got others.  Just try it
again - see what happens.  In my case, it would work fine the second time
(but stop later), which is what suggested a hardware problem.  Sure
enough, new ram fixed the problem.  I had a similar problems at home (and
other strangeness, especailly under Dos/Windows), which was fixed by
downclocking my Pentium 120 to 100 Mhz (processor or motherboard problems
I assume).

Hope this helps,
	Rick

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Matthew Mjacob wrote:

> Installed yesterday (1.3_ALPHA) tarballs... Trying to build 1.3 source.
>
> cc -O  -Werror -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith  -D_MULTI_LIBM -D_POSIX_MODE -DLIBM_SCCS -nostdinc -idirafter /space/NetBSD-1.3/proto/usr/include -c /space/NetBSD-1.3/src/lib/libm/src/e_lgammaf_r.c
> cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
> *** Error code 1
>
> sticky.nas.nasa.gov > gdb /usr/libexec/cc1 cc1.core
> GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
>  under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
> GDB 4.16 (i386-netbsd), Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
> (no debugging symbols found)...
>
> /space/NetBSD-1.3/src/lib/libm/cc1.core: Permission denied.
> (gdb) quit
> sticky.nas.nasa.gov > root gdb /usr/libexec/cc1 cc1.core
> GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
>  under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
> GDB 4.16 (i386-netbsd), Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
> (no debugging symbols found)...
> Core was generated by `cc1'.
> Program terminated with signal 6, Abort trap.
> #0  0x4016c943 in ?? ()
> (gdb) where
> #0  0x4016c943 in ?? ()
> #1  0x3ca38 in ?? ()
> #2  0x2cdb5 in ?? ()
> #3  0x359ca in ?? ()
> #4  0x1685a in ?? ()
> #5  0xb9e59 in ?? ()
> #6  0x614b in ?? ()
> #7  0x1563f in ?? ()
> #8  0x17bb7 in ?? ()
> #9  0x10da in ?? ()
> (gdb) quit

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                		     System Admin
University of Waterloo, Computer Science                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/