Subject: Re: serial console problem
To: <>
From: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@psc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/07/1997 12:40:02
--==_Exmh_657020004P

On Fri, 07 Nov 1997 11:59:31 EST, Kevin Sullivan says
>I've just put 1.3_ALPHA on a new Pentium; this machine is destined to be
>"random service" machine (ntp, samba, amanda, etc).  I've configured the
>bootblocks to use a serial console and am booting with a generic kernel.
>I've found an odd problem, though; whenever I turn off the terminal
(which
>is on the console serial port) the machine hangs.  The machine starts up
>again when the terminal is turned back on (though sometimes it has been
>thrown into ddb).

Odd.  I built a new (non-generic) kernel from today's sources and the
problem seems to have vanished.  The machine is now quite happy with a
disconnected serial console.  I'd still be interested in knowing *why* it
happened before, though, if anyone has any insights :-)

	-Kevin

--==_Exmh_657020004P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNGNScn4qeMKIUCpVAQEfZAP/aCyJ7A5B3GROdsHcq6k8750x97aKcC4z
bxpOOc3fKQ8Fdgl+hrpKgoG8Hb6XgEQrwGJ5F5ET8fzbQsdttskUklzZKsHPmfka
qiMZVar/WIW0MZ1R/aWx/WKJaJejZIfgQXyQMbxBtTTFlYFvp4SYL2/IhW1Yhel+
RRR57QdEi1I=
=MsI5
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_657020004P--