Subject: Re: 1.3_ALPHA: "Not enough fragment space in bootcode"
To: Andreas Gustafsson <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, gson@araneus.fi>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/07/1997 12:53:40
Excerpts from netbsd: 6-Nov-97 1.3_ALPHA: "Not enough frag.. Andreas
Gustafsson@arane (610)

>   # /usr/mdec/installboot /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym /dev/rsd0a
>   installboot: not enough fragment space in bootcode
>
> What does this mean?  The system boots despite this.  Should I worry?

This is serious - the bootblocks contain a table of
filesystem blocks where /boot (the "second stage")
is located. Per default, this table can hold 5 contiguous
chunks. (I've never needed more than 3, so I was assuming
that 5 is sufficient.)
In your case, root filesystem fragmentation (and perhaps
a small filesystem block size) cause that more chunks
are needed. "installboot" catches this case, so you keep
the old bootblocks.
Space is not that scarce in the disk bootblocks, and the table
is easily extended, so I'll increase the default size.
I'd like to get a figute about a reasonable value.
Can you:
-uncomment the line with "MAXFLENTRIES" in
   i386/stand/biosboot and rebuild
-install the resulting bootblock with the "-v" option and
  mail me the output?

best regards
Matthias