Subject: XFree86 3.3 SVGA server on NetBSD 1.3
To: None <rich@xfree86.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/05/1997 18:18:54
  I just installed a new i386 xterm (it replaces a sun3).
  I needed at least XFree86 3.2 to support my Gemini card (to drive a
Sun fixed frequency monitor). I used 3.3. Originally, I used the
XF86_W32 server, now I'm using plain SVGA after reading that the W32
server was being discontinued.

  I've had this machine for five days now, and have been running SVGA
server for one day now. My problem:

  the keyboard seems to lock up. The mouse continues to work, although
sometimes I can't logout because the control modifier seems to be
stuck, so I can't get the right menu.
  My keyboard has a function to swap CapsLock and CTRL. When the keyboard
is stuck, I can activate this function, and the CAPS lock light flashes
as it is supposed to. But, the caps lock, numlock and scroll lock lights
otherwise stay off. Unplug/replug keyboard, not better. Try another (plain)
keyboard, same results.
  If I can manage to log off, having the X server restart (under XDM)
fixes the problem. I can not switch virtual consoles while the keyboard
is stuck.
  I originally had -kb on the X startup line, but stopped doing that when
I figured out how to remap the keypad keys.

  a) does any of this mean anything to you?
  b) probably, I should email this to someone who has the time to care :-)
Any suggestions? I can set up to login to my Xterm remotely and run
any diagnostic that you might need.
  c) is there a beta that I should try? Could it be NetBSD 1.3ALPHA?
  d) should I try 3.2?