Subject: Re: 1.3_ALPHA/i386 snap-971030 and PCMCIA: ifconfig hangs.
To: Marc Baudoin <Marc.Baudoin@solsoft.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/03/1997 14:55:55
>for the Ethernet card while NetBSD 1.3A uses 0x400-0x40f.  And
>there's still the TX_AVAIL_THRESH problem...

Oops.  Sorry, I gues you mean this problem:

>ep1: MAC address 00:20:af:df:9e:f1
>ep1: write 0x7ff to TX_AVAIL_THRESH, read back 0x7aa, Interface disabled

It's really odd that you don't see this with NetBSD wiht the PCMCIA
patches. The only explanation I can think of is that your ``stock
NetBSD 1.2'' doesn't have proper support for the 3Com PCI drivers.

Do you really mean the formal 1.2 release?

If so, there's a simple fix: add a

	#define  EP_LARGEWIN_3C589_BUG	0x7aa

to the end of the current elink3reg.h, and change sys/dev/ic/elink3.c
around line 282:

 	GO_WINDOW(1);
 	switch (i)  {
 	case EP_LARGEWIN_PROBE:
+	case EP_LARGEWIN_3C589_BUG
 	case (EP_LARGEWIN_PROBE & EP_LARGEWIN_MASK):
 		sc->ep_pktlenshift = 0;

That should fix your problem. I still don't understand why
it doens't show up with jtk's patches, though.

If that works, please send a PR (so the database knows what model of
3c589 this affects ), cc: me, and I'll see about committing the fix to
the tree and the 1.3 branch.