Subject: Re: Yamaha sound card
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/01/1997 00:56:18
>Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 14:13:28 -0500
>From: "Michael C. Richardson" <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>

>  I wound up with a:
>
>isapnp0: <OPL3-SA2 Sound Board, YMH0021, , > port 0x220/16,0x530/8,0x388/8,0x330
>/2,0x370/2 irq 5 drq 0,1 not configured

>  card in a system. The box claimed:
>
>compatibility:
>"Pnp under Win95, Sound Blaster, SB PRO, MPC3, Window Sound System,
>Win 3.1, DOS 5.0 or higher, General MIDI"
>
>  This one came with wave table support (the one without was out of
>stock).
>
>  I find it strange that it has no ipa->ipa_devcompat string.

I don't.  In today's market you can't sell an ISA soundcard unless it
has a "Designed for Windows" logo, which means it must be certified by
Micro$oft.  The requirements for claiming compatibility with a generic
SoundBlaster are more stringent than those for a generic logical
device, and it's not worth the effort because you're always shipping
your own driver with the board anyway.  Analog Devices (my employer)
doesn't claim compatibility with a generic SBPro in our equivalent PnP
parts for exactly that reason.

>  I've added this to sb_isapnp_match, and I'll test it in a moment
>with XFree86-3.3 is finished downloading.

I've never seen this particular card, so I probably can't help you
much, but I'd still like to know how it comes out.  If you send me
your changes to sb_isapnp.c I'll commit them, but they won't be
included in 1.3.

>  [I've given up on my sun3 xterminal. 7 years of service for a 10
>year old machine. A valiant effort. Its' hostname and IP address will
>be retired :-)]

Requiescat in pace.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel