Subject: Re: [ksulliva@psc.edu] port-i386/4386: apm problems in -current
To: None <rvb@sicily.odyssey.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/30/1997 09:42:57
On 30 Oct 1997 10:59:44 -0500
 rvb@sicily.odyssey.cs.cmu.edu wrote:

 > IBM has been stupid for a long time.  On the 701c and 755 they steal
 > the last physical page before the gap (0xbffff) and use of as part of
 > their suspend/resume processing; they will store into the page!!!!
 > You must not use this physical page for netbsd.  In my case, this page
 > often turned out to be in the buffer pool and I could clobber pages or
 > inodes whenever I did a suspend/resume.  I'd recommend a patchable
 > flag or option that allowes this page to be ignored.

If this is indeed the case, it whould be trivial to get NetBSD to skip
over that page when bootstrapping the managed page freelist.  I would
recommend a kernel option that is enabed by default, and users can comment
out if they don't have one of these braindamaged laptops.

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 650 604 0935