Subject: Re: navigator-v403b8-export.x86-bsdi-bsd2 SIGSEGV on applet
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/23/1997 09:41:21
Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
> I did try setting MOZILLA_HOME etc.
> Results are perhaps interesting.
>
> If I set MOZILLA_HOME=/usr/local/netscape-403b8 and run
> $MOZILLA_HOME/netscape
>
> I cannot even get my home page up - it just sits there busy...
>
> I I make /usr/local/netscape a symlink to netscape-403b8 and either
> unset MOZILLA_HOME or set it to /usr/local/netscape (the default btw)
> I can get my home page but it still crashes on the applet.
>
> If I set CLASSPATH to (well just about anything...) I again can't even
> get my home page up.
>
> Looks like I'll have to try the FreeBSD version.
>
> --sjg

I am actually running precisely the binary you are having trouble with
(so did I in the beginning, for those who remember my silly
ktraces). The applet crashing business was solved by setting the

CLASSPATH=$MOZILLA_HOME/java/classes/java40.jar

I take it you have

options         COMPAT_NOMID    # compatibility with 386BSD, BSDI, NetBSD 0.8,
options         COMPAT_43       # and 4.3BSD

in your kernel config? (Can't remember why COMPAT_43 was needed)

Patrick