Subject: Re: Native NetBSD/i386 DTP software
To: The Man <holeboy@lackluster.net>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/20/1997 08:15:24
The Man wrote

> On Tue, Oct 14, 1997 at 01:16:21AM -0400, Carl Shapiro wrote:
> > Disclaimer: I don't work for Axene, nor do I know anyone do does.
> >
> > If no one has noticed, one "Axene" is selling and supporting NetBSD
> > ports of their Xclamation (frames based) desktop publishing software
> > and Xquad spreadsheet.
>

> According to a friend of mine, Axene's software is pretty rad.  I haven't
> gotten a chance to play with it though, because the only machine I've got
> with X has a 14" monitor.  (Although I'm hopefully getting a 19" Sony for
> my SS2 soon, though :). )

After reading this I downloaded Axene's packages for NetBSD, obtained
a temporary key and gave it a test drive :)

Xcl has an appealing and intuitive GUI which makes it easy to find
your way. The package was easy to install and after obtaining the
temporary key which allows saving and printing of the created work all
was operational.

Whilest creating a few simple docs, I noticed that Xcl seems to miss a
few functions which I would take for granted for a DTP. Xcl apparently
doesn't seem to have an UNDO function nor a spellchecker or thesaurus

I was unable to obtain the online doc files as there are missing on
their ftp-server, so I can't confirm this for sure.

On the contrary I was impressed with the spreadsheet package XQuad.
After editing a few balance and statistical sheets, I managed to
create a few nice graphical representations on the fly. XQuad imports
Excel and text based data files. The created work can then be exported
as HTML, vector or various forms of text based data files.

I noticed that Axene is also working on a wordprocessor package called
XAllWrite. This package is still in an early stage but looks
promising.

I believe that Axene deserves a mentioning on our "Commercial
Products for NetBSD". Commercial products for NetBSD are scarce and
new developments should see our encouragement.

My 2 cents worth.....

cheerio Berndt
--
Name	: Berndt Josef Wulf