Subject: Re: PCI on Compaq deskpro 4000 ?
To: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/15/1997 21:56:57
On Wed, 15 Oct 1997 21:41:06 +0200
 Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> wrote:

 > Hi,
 > I just tried a -current boot floppy on a Compaq deskpro 4000.
 > The damm thing prints:
 > pci0 at mainbus0: configuration mode 2
 > and then, just after:
 > isa0 at mainbus0
 > and then starts listing ISA devices. It doesn't see anything on the PCI bus,
 > I think it doesn't even probe it. Does anybody have an idea of what hack
 > I could do to this kernel to make it probes (and I hope configure :)
 > PCI devices ?

pci_mode_detect() is misprobing the configuration mode.  You can either
patch the binary (pci_mode is the variable) or build a kernel with
"options PCI_CONF_MODE=n" where n is 1 or 2.

Now that the BIOS trampoline has been generalized a bit, pci_mode_detect()
should probably be changed to ask the PCI BIOS.

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 415 604 0935