Subject: FreeBSD killed archie, was: where is top
To: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@melog.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/15/1997 10:10:25
At 20:50 14.10.97 -0700, Nathan Gelbard wrote:
>At 04:55 PM 10/14/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>>  Can someone point me to the reference version of top?
>>  Archie is useless for this kind of thing now...
>
>Whoah, I havent heard anyone utter 'archie' in years...

Well, there are tools like Peter Lewis' "Anarchie" on the Mac, and there is
a www interface to archie <http://ftpsearch.ntnu.no/> which is blazingly
fast.

But our friends from the FreeBSD camp have been successful in a gigantic
namespace pollution: Whenever the file you are looking for happens to be in
the FreeBSD port collection you get hundreds of pointers to directories
which do not contain what you were looking for. Apparently some FreeBSD
magic can use the coontents to track down the package, but to all that do
not run FreeBSD the mechanism is a major pain in the back, a bigger one
even than all the binary L*nux packages carrying the same names.  =8|

As I found out the hard way, the Makefile inside those FreeBSD related
fragments contains a pointer to the original sources, but this somewhat
obsoletes the idea of mirroring. No, the FreeBSD ftp mirrors do not contain
a description of the mechanism.

Ah well...

	hauke

--
Hauke Fath                              Melog Software GmbH
                                        D-69115 Heidelberg