Subject: That darned TURBO switch
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/12/1997 10:34:04
I had to do an "emergency" reboot last night when I discovered that the reason
for the constant stream of silo overflow messages was that my motherboard had
gone out of "turbo" mode (i.e. had dropped to an 8MHz clock.  Ow.).  I have the
switch disabled (it's not plugged in at all; my motherboard has three pins for
the turbo switch, my chassis supplies a two-pin header, and I didn't know which
pair of pins to try to connect...), but I suspect that this MB doesn't really
appreciate letting that gate input float (is a berg pin really cheaper than a
pull-up resistor???), and that a stray noise pulse toggled the state.

Why am I pestering the NetBSD list?  I am curious if there is any way for an
OS (in particular NetBSD) to sense the current setting of the CPU clock speed
(or whatever it is that the TURBO switch affects) and to override it if it
should get into the wrong state (or, perhaps, to just disable this misfeature
entirely!).  I'd suspect there probably isn't a programmatic way to alter it
(since MB manufacturers would have supplied a cheap program instead of an
expensive switch), but hope springs eternal...