Subject: Re: serial-console boot blocks?
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@warthog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/07/1997 16:31:30
Verily did Matthias Drochner write:

>> booting wd0a:netbsd - starting in 0
>> exec: short read

> I just compiled a kernel built from the config file you
> sent in a previous mail.
> It booted fine (from a wd disk).

> There were several messages about boot problems and
> data corruption in the past. From what I remember, a
> solution was to disable cache or even physically remove
> the cache chips.
> For now, I don't see a pattern where one could derive
> a solution from - it's just what happens to PC users...
> Can you tell more - eg if cache disabling in the BIOS
> helps?

I'll try that, as soon as this kernel is finished compiling.

My most recent try was to compile the GENERIC kernel and boot off of it.
That worked.  (*sigh*)

(r) grunge:~#dmesg | head -10
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

NetBSD 1.2G (GENERIC) #1: Tue Oct  7 16:41:25 CDT 1997
    windsor@grunge:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@warthog.com
Life: Rob@Carrollton.Texas.USA.Earth

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.