Subject: Re: i386 ie driver doesn't detect cards?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/07/1997 09:51:53
> I have a stack of about a dozen (older?) Intel EtherExpress 16 cards, all
> BNC/AUI (no UTP), and a couple have an even older label:  "Intel 8/16 Lan
> Card" (though they is supposedly functionally identical to the EE16, and use
> the same driver on many OSes).  I'd like to see the ie driver work on these
> cards, because the cards have the chip supposedly used by the ie driver.

I have the older BNC/AUI model also.  I haven't tried one recently, but
they should work under 1.2 and 1.2.1.

> You can't set these to IRQ 7, or at least, the softset won't let you, so
> they cannot be ie0.  However, the settings for ie1 I used--0x300, IRQ 10,
> and mapped memory at D000h.  Speaking of which, should I be setting it to
> 16k or 32k mapped memory?  Not that it matters; I get the same results with
> no mapped memory.

You need 32K of shared memory.  That is all the driver supports.  There is
some magic missing to support 16K shared mem.  PIO mode (no shared memory)
is definitely not supported. (does the card really do that?)

> Strangely enough, on 1.2 the cards are recognized incorrectly as NE2000
> clones (ed2).  1.2.1 fixes that problem, but now the cards aren't recognized
> at all (same deal on -current).

This is odd, as the NICs are different.

> Is the ie driver missing some identification bytes?  Is there somewhere in
> if_ie.c's attach routine that I can dump an ID byte debug and find out what
> it's really reporting?  I have an odd feeling that just recognition of the
> card will let the driver work properly.

Could be.  First try it with 32K of shared memory, and one of the IRQ's
that is supported in if_ie.c.  Let me know if you still have problems, and
I'll try to help get your card working.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.