Subject: Re: ppp/modem problems
To: Aaron Williams <aaronw@ewi.com>
From: Al Qahir <bozo@wcrb.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/1997 10:51:48
>  I'm back on this task now!!!  I have duplicated your tty entries and gettytab
> entries but still cannot get a login prompt.  The modem answers, but that is
> it!!  Any ideas?  Below are my relevant tty and gettytab entries.  My modem is
> a US Robotics V.Everything with V.34...  #%$@&*

You should get gibberish when you first connect, because the machine you
are connecting to will try to talk at 57600 baud.  If you give it a series
of carriage returns, it should go to 38400, then 19200, then 9600.  If you
are using a 14.4 kbaud modem, as I am, it should give you a login prompt
at 9600 baud.

I can't find a way to get it to talk at 14400; it will do 9600, and when I
invoke pppd it stays at 9600 (presumably if I had 28.8 modems it would do
19200). This is inconvenient, but it works; I'd sure love to get it to use
the full speed of the modem, though.

I've never been able to do an ftp through this connection at greater than
about 900 bytes/sec.

Rob Landry
bozo@wcrb.com