Subject: Re: Speaking of bugs....
To: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/02/1997 18:16:35
On Thu, 2 Oct 1997 19:17:43 -0400 (EDT)
 Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org> wrote:

 > Hello....
 >
 > I'v been trying to update my Pentium from 1.2B to 1.2G and have run into
 > the panic on the 1.2G kernels:
 >
 > panic: bha_init_ccb: can't create DMA maps

This is on my list of things to look at soon'ish.

I am using a Buslogic on PCI, and am not seeing these problems.  I do
lots of disk i/o through that controller, so I'm going to need some help
nailing this down...

	(a) I need to know _exactly_ what's happening on the system
	    when this occurs.

	(b) I need to know LOTS of gory details about your hardware.

Can you help me debug this?  I'd really like to get it fixed :-)

I will run your test program to see if I can reproduce it...

 > I had someone build some -current kernels for me, in case there was
 > something odd about the way I built the 1.2G kernel and the same panic
 > occures [For a number of reasons, the GENERIC kernel won't work for me].
 > At this point, I can't help but suspect that something is wrong.
 >
 > The following program will cause the panic around the time it starts to
 > swap:
 >
 > #include <stdio.h>
 >
 > main()
 > {
 > 	char *c;
 > 	int n=0;
 >
 > 	while (c=(char *)malloc(8192)) {
 > 		*c=123;
 > 		n++;
 > 		fprintf(stderr,"%d ",n);
 > 		usleep(500);
 > 	}
 > 	sleep(2000);
 > }
 >

 > I was unable to panic the i386 1.2B system or a sparc 1.2G system.
 >
 > Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
 >

 > Thanks..
 >
 > Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 415 604 0935