Subject: Re: quantum disks
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/27/1997 01:36:45
On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Jukka Marin wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with quantum SCSI disks?  I have had four
> Quantum Empire 1080's (three of which have died).  Now I have a 2.5 GB
> Atlas (about 6 months old) which started giving me medium errors today:
>
> I guess this one is about to die as well?
>
> Does anyone have ANY Quantum disk (over 1 GB) that WORKS?  I have a few old
> Quantums (80 MB, 170 MB etc) and they work just fine, but these newer disks
> always seem to die within 12 months of purchase.

Hmm... all of my Quantums have been working fine for me... Quantum LPS105
(I have no idea, 6 years old?), Fireball 540 (4 yrs old), Lightning 730 (3
yrs old or so), Capella 2.1G (2 yrs), Atlas 2.1G (1 yr), and Atlas 4.2G
(bought it used, probably about 1 yr old).

I've heard that a lot of people have problems with the Empire drives
though. However, the Atlas should be fine if you keep it cool enough. I
have a separate fan for each of my Atlas drives.

If you want to avoid Quantum, you might try IBM or Seagate.
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++