Subject: Re: ppp/modem problems
To: None <aaronw@ewi.com>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/17/1997 17:03:00
>Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 12:46:14 -0700
>From: Aaron Williams <aaronw@ewi.com>
>Sender: port-i386-owner@NetBSD.ORG
>
>Hello,
>
> I'm back on this task now!!!  I have duplicated your tty entries and gettytab
>entries but still cannot get a login prompt.  The modem answers, but that is
>it!!  Any ideas?  Below are my relevant tty and gettytab entries.  My modem is
>a US Robotics V.Everything with V.34...  #%$@&*
>
>  Thanks,
>  Aaron
>
>/etc/ttys
>tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty VH57600"    unknown on

Try locking the port at 38400 instead of hunting at 57600.

I had luck running getty at 57600 or higher with 1.2 and up until
around 1.2C or D.  At some point it simply stopped working -- it
started working again only when I dropped getty to 38400.

I reported my troubles on current-users at the time, and was simply
told by several people to use 38400, and that anything higher isn't
expected to work.  I guess I had just been lucky in the past.

For dial-out connections using kermit etc., higher speeds seem to work
without trouble.  I don't know what the story is with getty.

Cheers,
entropy