Subject: Re: I20 to cause problems for linux et al. (fwd)
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/15/1997 10:42:51
On 9/15/97 at 9:59 PM +1000, Darren Reed wrote:

> i've been reading disturbing news that Intel's and Micro$oft's new PC Bus
> inititative (Called I2O) has developer documentation which is available
> only with the payment of hefty licence fees. Furthermore, developers have
> to promise not to release any information on this interface,

Remember Micro Channel Architecture? That was similarly closed, wasn't it?
At the very least, it was a new thing, and it was more strictly controlled
than ISA, or whatever its primary (and more popular) competitor was.

My crystal ball tells me that I20 will show up mainly in computer-oriented
history books. After all, despite marketing, and, verily, despite technical
merit, these things *are* decided by our wallets.

--
        Mason Loring Bliss    /\    mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us
     www.webtrek.com/mason   /()\   awake ? sleep() : dream();