Subject: ssh windows clients & traveling
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/12/1997 13:36:38
Sorry that this is slightly off-topic, but y'all do tend to have good
answers. :-)

Tonight, I'm off to a conference on Cape Cod (woo hoo! :-) for a week. I'd
like to be able to log in and read EMail while I'm gone. The conference
will have PC's and Macs available for our use.

The problem is that I'm VERY loath to type in a plain-text password in
across the contry. Most of our EMail servers use kerberos, and I don't
want to give away that password.

I have two ideas, and welcome suggestions & comments.

1) Use S/Key to log into an i386 I have running NetBSD, and then run a
program to generate a kerberos ticket w/o typing in the password. Then
log into other servers. (I don't mind people seeing the EMail, just the
password)

I tried a simple shell program,

#!/bin/sh
echo "my kerberos passwd" | kinit wrstuden

but it still went to the command line for input. Can I get kinit to take
piped input?

2) Use ssh somehow. Does anyone know of a windows or MacOS client which
is shareware, or commercial with a trial period? Also, I don't know the IP
address on the other side. Is there some way I can set the client & sshd
so that it works w/o IP-address identification? So the client says "I'm
me", and they talk to each other in their random keys. ??

Thanks!

A slightly harried Bill