Subject: Installation... A new problem. :)
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/11/1997 18:58:50
On 9/11/97 at 1:44 PM -0500, you wrote:

> One thing to check with old video cards is non-obvious interrupt
> conflicts.

That was the problem... I moved a jumper, and, lo and behold, the beast
booted. I went through setting up the filesystem, after which I loaded
everything from the floppies.

HOWEVER, once I gave the command

Extract base12g

things broke. Specifically, after I'm asked whether I want verbose output
or not, I get the following:

.
./altroot
./bin
./bin/[
Segmentation fault - core dumped
/usr/bin/tar: Enexpected EOF on archive file

Now, after seeing this, I noted that it seemed to be cat that dumped core
in the temporary directory.

Trying

Extract comp12g

and the like produced quite similar results. I didn't see less on my first
look around, but luckily Extract shows up at the bottom of the file
/.commonutils, IIRC. It appears to do the following:

cat "$1"* | $GUNZIP | (cd $dest_dir ; $TAR --unlink -xp"$tarverbose"f - )

Running things manually, e.g.:

cd /mnt/usr/tmp
cat base12g.aa | gunzip

does the same thing... Id est, cat dumps core.

Trying:

cat base* > base.tar.gz

works, but THEN trying:

gunzip base.tar.gz

makes gunzip dump core.

Hm. I wonder if this has something to do with the processor cache being
turned on? I'll try to reboot and get back to where I am now, sans
processor caches.

GAAAAAHHHH!!!

Well. I've seemingly shot myself in the foot. There's no /etc/fstab on the
RAM disk, and I can't seem to figure out how to get wd0(foo) to mount. I
get the feeling that I'm going to have to learn ed soon. (Otherwise, I'll
just use cat to create an /etc/fstab file. Unfortunately, I don't remember
the details, but it can't be that different from my Mac's /etc/fstab.)

So, if anyone wants to point me in the right direction:

1) How do I mount wd0 using only the tools available on the snap-970901
boot floppy? The RAM disk fs is pretty full, so I can't copy much in, I
don't think. I can of course always start from scratch, but that would take
a really long time, as I was copying files over, erasing the disks, copying
more stuff onto them, and copying the new stuff over, etc.

2) What's the most likely problem with the install, as described above? How
likely is it that the cache is the culprit? If it's not the cache, what
comes to mind?

Thanks in advance for the help, and thanks for the copious help I've
already received! I would have never gotten even *this* far without the
extremely friendly advice and instruction offered by list members.

--
        Mason Loring Bliss    /\    mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us
     www.webtrek.com/mason   /()\   awake ? sleep() : dream();