Subject: Re: Installation troubles, more info
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/11/1997 16:18:58
On 9/11/97 at 8:01 PM +0200, you wrote:

> Stupid question: did you insert a file system floppy with '/sbin/init' ?

I don't know what the disks have on them, as I can't figure out a good way
to read their contents. My Mac can't do it, even when running suntar, and
my NetBSD box (an SE/30) can't deal with floppies at all. Also, when the
486 is running DOS, it can't seem to make sense of the disk either.

When booting with the snap-970901 boot disk, I can jump in before it starts
to look at any kernels, and do an ls. However, this reveals almost nothing
about what's on the disk. I don't see any /sbin/init, but then, I don't
believe that both the -current boot disk and the 1.2.1 boot disk are
defective. I was careful to check checksums and stuff.

> If you came to this point, the graphics card should not be the problem.

Mm. I was looking around at the -current INSTALL readme, and I noticed that
MDA *is* supported, at least nominally. I'm basically confused. BUT, I
don't want to give up yet. I want the speed that the 486/66 can give me!
:P~~~ Yeah, it's not a speed demon, but it's faster than the SE/30, I
assume...

--
        Mason Loring Bliss    /\    mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us
     www.webtrek.com/mason   /()\   awake ? sleep() : dream();