Subject: Re: dynamic allocation of IP
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Sasha Egan <wildcard@belen.k12.nm.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/09/1997 16:48:38
Thanks for such a quick response...
yes, I do assign the IP addressess according to the tty that the modem
picks up on, what I do not understand how to do is to make 95 understand
that the address that is assigned is really it...the problem that I see is
this,

 	" The dial-up adapter that you are attempting to use is not
configured to be used with this device."

Maybe to help the people that are willing to help me visualize I have to
map a piece of how my terminals are setup...

	The remote user calles in and recieves a line that is allocated
	from a pool of available lines.
	The users MUST login using an account that is specificly designed
	for PPP dial-up, (i.e. It has no .login or .profile that would be
	used in a regular text interface.  The .login and .profile have
	been replaced with a /bin/sh script that id's the tty they are on
	and tells pppd that the IP address belongs to that modem/machine.
	The shellscript then executes pppd.

This has all been tested and appears to work with all other os's, execpt
anything made by micosloth.  I have tested it useing NetBSD as well as
FreeBSD and Linux.  The pppd on the remote machine seems to understand and
executes pppd on the user side...win95...is not being very cooperative.

I hope that helps...I mean I REALLY hope that helps.

I understand that this is a NetBSD mailer but the FreeBSD ppl are not as
cooperative as you guys are.

thanks
wildcard
BLOCK-----