Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: Eric Delcamp <edelcamp@easynet.fr>
From: D. J. Vanecek <djv-list@bedford.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/03/1997 04:14:13
> Hi,

> Does netbsd could work on a 386sx processors ?

Very well; I have two 386SX running BSD (1.2) with *no* problems. They perform
rather well, even though they are mounting /usr over NFS. These machines are
40MB (no, not 400, and that's the *disk* :) + 9MB/memory and 80MB/disk+8MB/mem.

If you do not have IDE drives, but the still older MFM type (original AT),
then you will want to enable bad144 style bad-block forwarding for them
during installation.

I was unable to do installation from 1.2MB floppy, had to borrow a 1.44 from
another machine.

The lousy old 386SX can still do useful work, given a decent OS.

If you do not have a math co-processor, and you decide to build a new kernel
after installation, do not forget to enable math emulation.

A trimmed down kernel may be desirable if the SX's are memory-starved.
My "minimal" kernel occupies about 740K. Hmm, what else. In your BIOS setup
disable any kind of "Shadow RAM" options. THey're just useless to a real OS.

First thing I did, and which I recommend if you have a small disk and
mount /usr from NFS, is to reconfigure the filesystem so that frequently
used binaries from /usr/bin are moved to a new directory, which I called
/fbin, and to copy over the shared libs from /usr/lib to a new dir /lib.
(This is like linux, more or less). You will then need to hack ldconfig
in /etc/rc to search /lib before /usr/lib; then add /fbin to the head of
PATH in the various *profile* places. I found a great performance benefit
from this. (Cuts down NFS traffic considerably; no need to keep hitting
the NFS server for every little thing in /usr/lib/libc.so  ld.so needs
to reside on the local disk, too.  Copying rather than moving keeps your
original tree in order.)

Well, that's about all I can remember. If you get snagged, feel free to
email me.

Dave