Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: None <void@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/02/1997 19:45:34
>Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 08:17:05 +1000 (EST)
>From: Joel Reicher <void@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au>

>On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, David Brownlee wrote:
>> 	The boot partition must reside within the BIOS addressable area
>> 	of the disk, but NetBSD should be able to access >540MB as other
>> 	partitions.
>
>Is this completely correct? I thought only the bootstrap code needed to
>lie within the BIOS addressable space of the disk, and that it didn't
>matter if the rest of the boot partition extended beyond it.

I'm not sure about the new boot code, but the old boot code used BIOS
calls to load the kernel.  Since the kernel could be anywhere in the
root partition, that meant that your entire root partition needed to
be within the first 528 MB of the disk.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel