Subject: Re: cross compiling for Linux-i386
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@tater.mines.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/27/1997 17:30:41
On 7 27, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> 	Hi,
>
> has anybody successfully created a cross compiling environement for
> Linux-i386 under NetBSD? I've nearly done it but under some conditions

  Well, I thought so: I've been running a beta test version of the NAG fortran
95 compiler for a few days--it's a linux binary, and it operates as a fortran
to c translator, so a linux toolchain is needed, and the output is linux elf
code.  It seems to work fine, though I haven't really stress tested it.
(BTW: NAG has the f95 beta available with a free license that lasts until the
end of August, if anyone's interested.  See ftp.nag.co.uk.)

> the Linux "cpp" uses a syscall "mremap()" which is [not] supported by our
> emulation and as result a nearly empty object file is created.

  But, I haven't run into this problem.  I have used the linux cpp explicitly
to preprocess most of the fortran files I've fed to the compiler, and,
presumably, the c-compilation stage also uses cpp, but this hasn't cropped up.
I'm running NetBSD 1.2G (July 19 source), the linux cpp is dated Sept. 16, 1996,
and the linux c library is libc.so.5.4.33.  If you'd like me to try out a sample
file, let me know.

--Jim Bernard