Subject: how to ifconfig ep0?? //was Re: kernel panic!
To: Andrew Y Ng <ayn@ngbert.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/17/1997 18:45:29
Andrew Y Ng <ayn@Ngbert.org> writes:

>but I am having a hard time trying to figure out how
>to ifconfig my ep0... did the link thinggy get changed
>or something?

Yes.  link[012] support was removed when the ifmedia support was
added, on the advice of Core.  With ifmedia support, the link[012]
bits should be freed up for other uses.

>i tried `ifconfig ep0 192.168.105.163 up link0 link1`, it
>worked for a sec or so and then the system hangs; i also
>tried doing `ifconfig ep0 inet 192.168.105.163 media UTP`,
>same thing...

But the link0 link1 flags never had *any* effect on the 3c590.

The elink3 driver used the link[012] flags to set bits in the
relevant registers for a 3c509; the media-control bits in a 3c590 or
3c595 are in complately differnt places.  This changed the media on a
3c509, but setting link[012] never caused any media changes on a
3c590, as far as I can recall.  If it worked for you, you just got lucky.
Anyway, since if_media support was added, the link[012] flags have no
effect on the elink3 driver *at all*, not even on 3c509s.

I think this is all mentioned in the manpage.  Should non-support of
link[012] for medium and speed selection be mentioned explicitly?

``ifconfig <medium>'' command is known to work on 3c509B cards and
3c595 (Vortex-chipset 10/100) and was reported to work correctly on a
3c590 last time I changed it.

If you can build a kernel with options DEBUG, then the if_ep driver
will produce diagnostic messages saying what it's doing with the
on-card window-3 CONFIG register on your Vortex-chipset card.
That should say  what's going wrong.

BTW, in -current, the right place to put the config information for
ep0 is /etc/ifconfig.ep0.