Subject: updated pcmcia patches (1.2G/-current)
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington-heights.ma.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/23/1997 22:02:03
I've packed up a new -current kit of the kludgy pcmcia support.

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/apm+pcmcia/pcmcia-for-current/pcmcia-diffs-current.19970623.tar

the README follows:

REMINDER: This is BETA test stuff. It'll blow away your data and your
machine.  You're lucky if you survive it!!  Use it only if you know what
you're doing (but than you wouldn't be here anyway:-))

This kit (1997/06/23) includes: updated patches for -current
(1.2G).

There's no guarantee that this code will ever appear in an official
release in this form.  In fact, I can almost guarantee that this stuff
will NOT appear in this form in an official release.

Apply the patch from /usr/src with 'patch -p0 -s <patchfile' (-s means
silent except for errors--otherwise you may lose patch errors in the
mist).

PCMCIA hot swapping is still a bit kludgy in user space.  The man page
for pcmciad still lies; you just list device file names in the config
file and it will automatically try to config/unconfig cards as they are
inserted/removed.  The TODO list includes improving the daemon to allow
action scripts and specific per-card configuration tweaks (including
config detail modloading).

If you encounter configuration problems/hangs/etc, please try to
reproduce the problem.  Include debugging options PCMCIA_ISA_DEBUG,
PCIC_DEBUG=0x27, and PCMCIA_DEBUG in your kernel config.  Try to write
down what's going on in the procedure of hanging the system.
If your system appears to hang while probing a card, please try removing
that card and see if the configuration steps continue.

I'm particularly interested to hear reports from folks with:
	* Compaq laptops (or others with the VL82146-series controller)
	* multiple i82365 PCMCIA controllers.
as to whether things work or fail.

See README.pcmcia.SG for Stefan Grefen's original README file with
credits/etc.

Thanks to Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de> for the
config_detach stuff, and to Tatsumi HOSOKAWA <hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp>
for some of the original APM protected/real mode interface stuff.
Thanks to Enami Tsugutomo <enami@ba2.so-net.or.jp> for his aic6360 work
and various bug fixes.

Thanks to Eric Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com> for his ESP driver work.
(see http://kludge.psc.edu/~ack/esp.html for his most recent bits)