Subject: Re: Return of Son of Beneath The Planet of Connectix Virtual PC 1.0
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/23/1997 15:16:23
On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Greg Earle wrote:

> How many different "configuration modes" are there?

Two, as I recall, `mode 1' and `mode 2.' Mode 2 is the newer and
better way to do it.

> In short, it sounds sorta like NetBSD's "configuration mode 2" is giving me
> the same results as PX's "Hardware Access Mechanism 2" - i.e., nothing.
>
> Given that this is the results of booting from the 1.2G snapshot SSTO boot
> floppy, it sounds like I don't have any control over which "configuration
> mode" gets used.  Perry?  Matthias?  Anyone?  Bueller?

If you can compile a new kernel, you can force a configuration
mode. From src/sys/arch/i386/pci/pci_machdep.c:

 * The configuration method can be hard-coded in the config file by
 * using `options PCI_CONF_MODE=N', where `N' is the configuration mode
 * as defined section 3.6.4.1, `Generating Configuration Cycles'.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates