Subject: Re: Return of Son of Beneath The Planet of Connectix Virtual PC 1.0
To: None <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/23/1997 14:02:46
First off, thanks to the many people who pointed out that I needed to put

	LASTDRIVE=Z

in my DOS CONFIG.SYS to get the Folder Sharing feature to work.  (Yes I iz a
DOS ignoramus).

I am now able to share folders in DOS and was able to use this feature to
download the boot-12G.fs floppy image and use RAWRITE.EXE in the emulator
to write the image to a floppy (slooooooowwww, however).

Matthias Drochner writes:
>> pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 2
>
> I guess this is probed wrong.
> Try to hard wire mode 1 (PCI_CONF_MODE=1).

Also being a PCI bus ignoramus ...  :-)  what exactly does this mean?

How many different "configuration modes" are there?  The "PX" program has 3
methods of probing the emulated PCI bus, using the "PCI Configuration Method"
sub-menu that was available on the Main Menu:

	+------------------------------------+
	| Select Configuration Access Method |
	+------------------------------------+
	| >PCI BIOS Interface                |
	| >Hardware Default Access Mechanism |
	| >Hardware Access Mechanism 1       |
	| >Hardware Access Mechanism 2       |
	+------------------------------------+

If I choose *any* of the 1st 3 methods - PCI BIOS, Hardware Default Access,
or Hardware Access 1 - it works fine.  And I get the aforementioned

	+--------------------------------+
	|         5 PCI Devices          +
	+--------------------------------+
	| >[00:00:0]  INTEL 122D Device  |
	| >[00:07:0]  INTEL 122E Device  |
	| >[00:07:1]  INTEL 1230 Device  |
	| >[00:08:0]  S3 88B0 Device     |
	| >[00:09:0]  DIGITAL 0014 Device|
	|                                |
	+--------------------------------+

BUT - if I choose "Hardware Access Mechanism 2", I get "No PCI devices found"!

In retrospect, I'm also surprised that I didn't get any probe messages from
these 3 emulated Intel devices - the 122D is a Host Bridge, the 122E is an
ISA Bridge, and the 1230 the IDE controller - maybe this related?

In short, it sounds sorta like NetBSD's "configuration mode 2" is giving me
the same results as PX's "Hardware Access Mechanism 2" - i.e., nothing.

Given that this is the results of booting from the 1.2G snapshot SSTO boot
floppy, it sounds like I don't have any control over which "configuration mode"
gets used.  Perry?  Matthias?  Anyone?  Bueller?

	- Greg

P.S. Apologies to any port-mac68k people who don't have PowerMacs and who
     are no doubt thoroughly bored with this VPC discussion.  I wish we had a
     native PowerMac version of NetBSD (or even one that booted via the
     existing Booter mechanism from MacOS), but given that we don't, this is
     the next best thing if I can get it to work ...