Subject: Re: Multiport serial board recommendations?
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Wonko the Sane <wonko@blackhole.arkham.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/23/1997 16:28:13
Dave Huang drunkenly mumbled...

> Unfortunately, the PC UARTs aren't working too well for me :) Since I need
> this to work on a old 386-25, I'll probably need some expensive card with
> big buffers :( I've got a 2 port 16550 card in it right now, and it'll do
> one 115.2k port pretty well if that's the only thing it's doing, but I'm
> using it as a proxy server/router, and it has some trouble keeping up with
> one 57.6k port when used that way.
>
> Perhaps it'd be cheaper for me to find an old 486-100 or something :)

i don't know what they cost, i've never used one, but i've heard good things
about them.  check out a Chase IOLAN+ (they come in 4, 8 & 16 port models)
they can do 115K on 16 ports ne sweat, and hook to your ethernet, not your
PC, so the 386 can be a server and not do the routing stuff.  i'm sure these
things are expensive though.  just a thought.

-brian

--
** Brian Hechinger ** wonko@mail.arkham.net ** http://www.arkham.net **