Subject: pcvt console size (other than 25)
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/18/1997 09:33:43
i've got linux's lilo offering me dos, netbsd, and linux as boot
options.  if i turn the machine on and boot to dos, i can set the
screen to 50 lines.  if i then reboot via int 17 (it doesn't clear the
screen or count ram or anything, just gives me the lilo prompt), i can
immediately tell lilo to boot netbsd for me.  it works fine.  the
weird thing is, i get left in 50 line mode, with the top half of the
screen functioning as the console, and the bottom half working as a
partial copy of the top half (with sporadic, seemingly random updates,
and switching vt's is even stranger).  using scon i can then switch to
and from 132 columns.  however, scon cannot set my linecount to
anything other than 25.  switching vt's at this point makes the bottom
half look even more screwy than before.  (linux is a little more
"well-behaved" about this).

how can i tell scon that linecounts other than 25 (eg, 43 or 50) do
actually work?  it says it can switch to them in the help but a)
doesn't seem to be able to and b) even when in 50 line mode (as above)
it still doesn't change from 25.  running my console in 132x50 would
be kinda neat.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
andrew@echonyc.com (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet