Subject: Re: Weird Ethernet problem w/ new box
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/17/1997 08:08:34
On Mon, Jun 16, 1997 at 01:20:18PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> Weird. Now at work, the cheepie card seems fine. I guess this is my first
> first-hand introduction to the joys of PC hardware. :-)

If it was a speed problem, it depends on the speed of the transmitting
system _and_ the CPU speed of the machine with the cheap Ethernet card.
For example, if I put a cheap card with a very small receive buffer in
a 486 box and transfer data to it from a fast pentium with a PCI Ethernet
card, the 486 loses packets miserably.  However, if I transfer data from
an old Amiga (which is slow), everything works just fine (althoug slow :-)

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 22:30 EET DST Mon-Fri

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---