Subject: Re: Weird Ethernet problem w/ new box
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.ibp.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/16/1997 16:38:57
On Jun 15, Bill Studenmund wrote
> As a side note (and possably relevant?) the 686 shows up as a 486. Didn't
> 12D support 686's? Or does the BIOS need to know it's a 686? The BIOS boot
> messages speak of a 100 MHz pentium, and Norton 8's hardware checkout says
> I've got a 214 MHz 486SX w/ a non-standard 387. ??

NetBSD 1.2F also says my 6x86 is a 486, but this doesn't prevent it
from working fine ...

> Also, every now and then, when the BIOS fires up, it hangs right after
> probing the disk drives. It's trying to say something like "Automatically
> A??? 0: Master OK" I think the A?? is activating, or some such.
>
> So I guess I have two questions, possably interrelated. Any ideas on the
> ethernet card, and could my BIOS be choking on the Cyrix? There's a
> flashrom update for this board to an AWARD PnP BIOS (from April 1996), but
> I'd rather not add PnP if I don't have to...

Upgrade your bios if you can. It is possible that it tries to configure
your processor as a pentium, ending up in a non-working caches configuration.
PnP isn't a problem if you don't have any ISA PnP cards (or can disable
PnP on them).

--
Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.                 bouyer@masi.ibp.fr