Subject: Re: Floppy troubles (was Re: Update: NetBSD 1.2 slays Connectix VirtualPC emulator, film at 11)
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/14/1997 20:59:03
> From: Jason Thorpe
>
>> maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com> wrote:
>
> > For what it's worth, I have seen this type of message on a "real" PC
> > (DEC PC/XL 590).  After managing to get the base system installed anyway
> > (with lots of complaints whenever reading a floppy) I then reinstalled
> > everything over the network (not trusting the stuff I had loaded from
> > the "bad" floppy.)
>
>A while ago, I fixed a timing bug in the isa floppy driver.  The bug
>still exists in 1.2{,.1}, so this might be part of the problem.

in -current, yes?  ah...so this (timing bug) might explain why i had
no problems at all reading/writing floppies on my 486/50, but on any
pentium (or better) class machine, they would all get "billions" of
errors?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
andrew@echonyc.com (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet