Subject: Re: 2 quick questions
To: None <void@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/07/1997 13:34:38
>Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 00:51:52 +1000 (EST)
>From: Joel Reicher <void@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au>
>
>Firstly - Not that it matters, but why does the npx driver seem to be the
>only one that doesn't print out its IRQ on initialisation?

Probably because it doesn't use one, and sets its irq to IRQUNK during
autoconfig.  On my system I get:

npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0-0xff: using exception 16

The "using exception 16" means that the FPU raises an exception on the
CPU directly, without having to use an IRQ.

>Secondly - Where is the disklabel written? I have two disks, one
>completely DOS and the other completely NetBSD, and I'm booting using
>os-bs _beta_, which writes to some "hopefully unused" sectors on the
>first track of the first disk, which in this case is my DOS disk. I can
>mount it without a disklabel just fine, but it would be nice to have a
>disklabel if I knew where the damn thing ends up.

If the disk has a partition in the primary partition table (aka MBR)
with an ID of 0xA5, then NetBSD will put the disklabel at the
beginning of that partition.  If there is no MBR or if there is no
partition 0xA5, then the disklabel will be put at the beginning of the
disk.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel