Subject: Re: New PC, sound cards?
To: None <bouyer@antioche.ibp.fr, sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Jason Brazile <jason@sunra.csci.unt.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/07/1997 09:25:36
> > Really save. I do 1152x900 (256 colors) with a 1Mo S3trio64
>
> [...]
>
> The viewsonic has 3 BNC connectors (cf. 4 on the Sony, 4th is
> vert-sync I believe), I'd like to try the Viewsonic monitor on the
> sun386i to establish if it is the video card or the monitor (looked
> good in the show-room...) anyone know how much harm it might do to
> leave out the h-sync signal?

I don't know about that but it is easy to do the other combination.
I am using a Sony GDM-1601 17" fixed frequency monitor (4 BNC) with
an ISA PC video card. You just need a 4 BNC -> vga cable, a proper
XF86Config file, and a spare dumb terminal to be the serial console
:-).

I too am happy enough with 1152x900 with only a 1MB video card.

Jason