Subject: Re: 2 quick questions
To: Joel Reicher <void@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/06/1997 19:57:00
Hi,

I found I had to put a NetBSD partition on my Dos drive.  I believe that
if there isn't any NetBSD partition, then the disklabel gets written to
the beginning of the disk.  This didn't cause a problem for me with OS-BS,
but it did cause some problems with dos (it was so long ago now, I can't
remember - sorry).  I do remember disklabel saying something like "erase
previous contents of the disk" if I didn't set it up properly.  You can
either put a small (1 cyl) NetBSD partition on the disk, or go without a
disklabel.  I havn't played with it since 1.2, so I'm not sure if there
are other options (1.2 didn't even have the no disklabel option).

Hope this helps,
		Rick

On Sat, 7 Jun 1997, Joel Reicher wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Ted Lemon wrote:
>

> > The NetBSD disk label goes in the first sector of the NetBSD DOS
> > partition if you are sharing the disk between DOS and NetBSD.   OS-BS
> > has nothing to do with this.
> >

> Firstly, the two are not sharing a disk. I have two disks, and they get a
> disk each. My DOS disk is the primary master, so that's where the BIOS looks.
>
> Secondly, I'm using the OS-BS _beta_, which rights to a few sectors of
> the disk other than the bootblock. I know which ones, but I _don't_ know
> where disklabel would write. The whole point of my question is to ensure
> that OS-BS really won't have anything to do with this. :)
>
> 	- Joel

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/